Thursday, July 15, 2010

His Lap

Every morning I spend some time with the Lord, I started doing this in 2004.   For some reason my day seemed to go smoother when I started it with Lord....imagine that!   After I had John life was a little unscheduled and my time with the Lord seemed to drift away....I drifted away.  Don't get me wrong I still believed, prayed, and even praised the Lord but I did not make time for "our relationship".  I became a crisis Christian -I only reached out to Him when it was convenient for me or a crisis was happening.

I knew that I needed to get back into relationship with the Lord - I just didn't know how.  I was embarrassed and ashamed that I had "let Him down" .  And I knew that once I started getting close to Him again that the enemy would be ready to attack . The enemy had me right where he wanted me.

During general conversation this time last year Linda told me that she was half-way through reading the entire bible.  She was so excited & happy...I could tell this  daily activity was changing her life.  She sounded different that day and it inspired me.

I went to the bookstore immediately and bought a daily bible.  The next morning I set my alarm clock to wake up before Randy and John, got a cup coffee, sat in my big comfy chair with my new bible and started my  journey.  I will admit....it took some getting use too but after a few weeks I didn't have to set my alarm clock, I started adding some other devotionals to my time, and before I knew it I was sitting in the Lord's lap again - warm & cozy.

It's been a year....and I finished the Bible today!  I love my time with the Lord and I am very protective of it - this is a journey I am going to keep on  and a relationship that will continue to grow.    I encourage you to do the same - He is waiting for you...there is plenty of room in His lap.

I find it sort of funny...ironic...and simply the Lord that the last verse on my last day was  Acts 19:20 - So the word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed.  AMEN.

3 comments:

HOW THE FISKINS FOUND FARGO said...

Congratulations! As always, you inspire me.

Linda said...

I'm so glad you joined the journey and I too am inspired to keep on going. It's a good place to be, in the lap of our Lord. Maybe we should be the same edition and start fresh together on January 1, 2011.

Devora Chana said...

You are so right about guarding your quiet/study/prayer time. It makes all the difference in a person's life.

One of my favorite little books is Perki Avot - Ethics of the Fathers.
It has the most awesome wisdom. I thought of the following verse while reading your post:

Chapter 1 Verse 15: Shammai* said, “Set a fixed time for thy (study of) Torah; say little and do much; and receive all men
with a cheerful countenance.”

*Shammai (50 B.C.E. - 30 C.E.) was a famous Jewish scholar of the first century C.E., and an important figure in Judaism's core work of early rabbinic literature. It is believed that he and some of his close disciples were among the teachers at the Temple when Jesus, at age 12, was found by his parents in deep discussion after he was left behind in Jerusalem when they started home. (Luke 2)


I'm happy to know that you have returned to your "place" of comfort with your Father.