Saturday, August 6, 2011

Here it Comes….Ready or Not

Routine. 

I hate it and I am currently a little bit overwhelmed by it.  The only routine I have in my life is dinner time is always before 6:00pm every night.  That’s it.  I try to have routine…especially with Christina but it seems next to impossible to keep.  I hate to look at my calendar and have a bunch of stuff to do, places to go, and people to see.  I think I have become a home body…and that’s not good.  I love to look at me week ahead and it be empty.routine-1I wasn’t always like this.  Before I quit working in 2006 I loved schedules and routines.  I would get excited to have my Franklin Covey full of activities.  But I’ve got lazy – there I said it…I have become complacent and lazy and I like my whatever happens happens schedule.

This has to change….and it has to change now.

You see I should be registering John for Pre-School this week but I am home schooling…which I am so excited and scared to death about.  If I am being honest with you I might as well lay it out on the line…Am I going to be able to keep up with this new routine and schedule??

I am planning on starting school on September 6th but maybe I should wait until September 12th and start on a Monday.  We have 160 lessons to cover.  Yes…it’s only Pre-School but I want to get this right.  This is his first steps into his education….and I am the one in control of it – which freaks me out even more…generally this would make me happy since I am sort of a control freak.

Starting in September we will have school everyday from 10:00-12:30.  We will have soccer practice, music class, and bible class for John in the evenings.  Christina will have music class one evening a week.  We will have our Seekers class one afternoon every week. Sprinkle in birthday parties, doctor appointments, holidays, field trips, and whatever else life may bring.  I can do this.

I have done a routine before.

I can re-establish habits/schedules/and sleeping patterns.

I think I can…thumbnailCAKZS0SU

1 comment:

Linda said...

You can do it! I know you can! Once you get into the swing of things it will be easier. I'm thinking two and a half hours may be too long. Remember things will go faster since it is only John and there should be no distractions. Also gauge his attention span on his age, one minute per year of age. That's three-four minutes, so don't get discouraged. I used to break it up instead of having them sit still for long periods, break it up with some songs and movement, or snack, bathroom or water breaks. You know I'm here if you need me.