Saturday, May 7, 2011

Our Library

Our little school room aka John's office has a library now.IMG_7945IMG_7956John is so excited.  All of his books are in one place and easy to access.  He loves to read and he loves for someone to read to him.

I always wanted to be a school teacher...so now I have my chance.  John and I do about an hour to two hours of work each day....so if you call between 10am and noon I most likely will not answer.  I try really hard to keep us on this schedule...John likes a routine...and so do I.  John loves school and happily goes to his "office" to work!

John knows the alphabet...not only the song but the actual letters.  He can count and read numbers up to 30 but he still gets stuck on the number 13.  He knows all the colors and what colors mix to make other colors.  He loves to cut, paste, and do worksheet activities.  This past week Randy taught him his address, phone number & birth date - it was so much fun!  John can pick out the state of Texas on television, in pictures, and on a map.  I love my little sponge that soaks everything up!  I now know why Leelee did this for 30+ years.IMG_7947IMG_7946For Mother's Day Randy is buying me John's Pre-K curriculum.  I am so excited and can't wait to receive it!  After a ton of research, literature, and advice I decided to go with Calvert.  Calvert is the curriculum my sister Gloria used when her kiddos were home schooled.  Calvert is secular curriculum but I figured I can always add and take away what I want.  Calvert has been around since 1906 and has an excellent reputation & wonderful success rate.  In addition to Calvert John will still be involved with his Thursday Seeker group. 

John is in swim lessons again this month - he loves the water.  Before swim lessons he would take five minute baths...now he's in the bath for hours....so we will stay with the swim lesson all summer.  We are also enrolled in gymnastics for the summer.  I love keeping him busy & entertained....it makes for an early bedtime.

I pray that I can do this.  Not many people support this idea of home school but I am blessed that I have this opportunity.  I want to make this work and I pray that God helps John &  myself succeed!

(Thanks Gloria for your help and advice.  I think Calvert is going to be an excellent fit with our goals.  I can't wait to share with you our progress and to see how much or little Calvert has changed!)

2 comments:

Linda said...

Looks like you are on the right track. I think you will do just fine. Keep us posted.

Tina said...

Thanks Linda - that means so much to me to have you say this. I believe you are the professional when it comes to education. Thank you for being one of the few people that supports me in this new adventure!