Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy 75th Birthday Elvis!

Despite what many people may think I am not a huge Elvis fanatic.

Wait....let me clarify this...I am an Elvis fan but not one of those types that has lots of his records, wears shirts with a355a933f7c87baehis imagine, has over a dozen coffee mugs referencing Elvis, been to Graceland more than once, has several Elvis collectable dolls, at least five purses/bags with Elvis on them, bought her son a shirt about Elvis so that he can match his Mother on Elvis's birthday and death day, has one of the best memories with my Mom & brother regarding Elvis & a stamp & an investigation, and no I don't eat peanut butter & banana sandwiches...without thinking about him.

Okay...I guess I am a huge Elvis fanatic.  There.  I admitted it.  Everyone has at least one friend like this...and I am your friend like this.

I don't worship him.  I don't like to call him the king. And I do think he was apart of the "fall" of society.  But I still like him.  When I see him I just smile.  I think of happy times & memories.

This crazy addiction  started at a young age thanks 239dbda8e7f8525cto my folks.  I actually got to see Elvis in 1977 - two months before he died.  I was five years old and remember everything about the concert.  When he would pull the scarves off from around his neck I can remember wanting to have one to give my Momma.

So twice a year in this Hare household you can drop by and hear a cd player constantly belting out Elvis tunes, see an Elvis movie on the television,  taste a peanut butter & banana sandwich, and hear a middle aged woman reminisce a funny story about Elvis.

Here is my favorite clip from my favorite Elvis movie...which I actually don't own!  See...I am not that big of fan!  (Be sure to mute the sound on my player below if you watch this clip!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhFrSwSIgc4

2 comments:

Linda said...

Tonight is the first time today I have had time to check blogs. I was wondering if you would do an Elvis Birthday Blog. Let's see, I know you eat peanut butter/banana sandwiches, I know you have at least one Elvis shirt, I know you have been to Graceland, I know you have at least one Elvis purse, but I think 2, you just showed me your new one. So . . . I think you are "that" fan. I remember the day he died, I was working at Nunn and there was a lady that worked at the desk next to mine and she cried all day. I must admit I was a little put out as in my opinion there is only one King. I did/do like Elvis music and love to watch his old movies. I would even go to Graceland at least once. I think he was just a regular country guy that loved his mama and the world just sucked the life right out of him. Okay, this should have been a blog instead of a comment. Sorry.

Andy said...

Love it! I saw on the tv in the gym that it was his 75th, and I totally thought of you and that purse I gave you one year for your bday. Heehee!